ABCs of Dental Health
Becoming more attentive to your basic dental health helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease that can become bigger problems in the long run, costing additional time and money in treatment than most patients are willing to invest.
Basic dental health involves:
* Daily brushing and flossing.
* Seeing your dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings.
* Eating a healthy diet that avoids sugary, starchy foods in favor of fruits and vegetables, whole grains and dairy products.
Simple steps to avoid dental problems include:
* Brush your teeth twice daily and floss once a day.
* Use a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
* Avoid foods with a high-sugar content.
* Sugar contributes to plaque growth.
* Avoid tobacco products and limit your exposure to second-hand smoke.
* Get into the habit of brushing your tongue.
* Schedule regular dental visits based on your dentist’s recommendation.