Just like natural teeth, it is important to brush your dentures and keep them clean to avoid the spread of bacteria, to keep breath fresh and keep your gums healthy. Read below for information regarding how to clean your dentures.
- Rinse your dentures before brushing to remove any loose food.
- Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and water to brush all the surfaces of the dentures twice per day. This removes food particles and plaque, and also helps keep your dentures from staining. Avoid conventional toothpaste. You can purchase cleaner created just for dentures at your local drug or grocery store.
It is important that you regularly clean your dentures and handle them with care. With proper maintenance, you can protect your investment for years to come.
- Handle carefully. You can easily prevent denture damage when removing or cleaning dentures by filling the sink with water or placing a folded towel in the sink to prevent accidental falls.
- Keep dentures moist. Soak your dentures in cool water or denture cleaning solution when not in use. This will keep them from drying out. Refrain from using water that is too hot, as this can warp your dentures.
- Think of them as real teeth. Just as you would brush your natural teeth twice a day, you should brush your dentures twice a day as well. Use a soft-bristle denture brush and cool water to brush all surfaces. After every time you eat, be sure to rinse your dentures with water to keep them fresh for longer.
- Give them a rest. Remove your full or partial dentures and soak them every night. This will keep them moist and allow your gum tissue to rest.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Regular checkups are good for your dentures and your mouth overall. At your regular checkups, your dentist will ensure that your dentures are in good condition and fit continue to fit properly. Your dentist will also provide a thorough cleaning, just like they would for your natural teeth at a regular checkup.
- Follow directions. Be sure to follow all instructions that your dentist gives you regarding care and cleaning, and do not hesitate to ask questions.
To learn more about dentures, visit our Dentures & Partial Dentures FAQs.
Request a Dentures Consultation
Our team is eager to serve you. If you’d like to learn more about dentures, visit our locations page to find a clinic near you. Call the clinic of your choice, or request an appointment below.
Need Dental Insurance? Dental Associates is the exclusive provider of CarePlus Dental Plans. With CarePlus dental insurance, you can save money on dental care, even if you already have dental insurance. Use their Savings Calculator to see how much you can save with your existing dental insurance. Visit CarePlus dental insurance.