Dental Implants for Multiple Missing Teeth
When you have multiple missing or failing teeth, you have a few treatment options to choose from:
- A removable partial denture
- A fixed bridge supported by multiple tooth
- An implant-supported bridge
A removable partial denture uses clasps to grab onto adjacent, healthy teeth to hold the denture in place. The clasps, which are designed to fit snuggly onto the healthy teeth, put pressure on the underlying gums and natural teeth they hook onto. This weakens the jawbone and loosens the supporting teeth, which often leads to additional tooth loss. Since there is no root system for the missing teeth, the integrity of the jawbone is compromised and bone loss (atrophy) accelerates, resulting in rapid bone deterioration.
A multiple tooth-supported fixed bridge is a traditional tooth replacement option and has all the complications, compromises and risks of a single tooth bridge, only to a much greater degree. Problems of decay, root canal infections, periodontal bone loss and bone atrophy can worsen simply because there are more teeth involved. Unfortunately, larger bridges fail faster than single tooth bridges.
Overall, an implant-supported bridge is far superior to removable partials or multiple tooth supported fixed bridges.
Dental implants for multiple missing teeth…
- Stop the bone resorption process (deterioration)
- Are much more comfortable and stable than partial dentures
- Maintain the integrity of the facial structure (no sagging jaw line)
- Keep the gum line intact since it won’t be worn away by metal clasps
- Restore natural biting and chewing capacity
- Preserve adjacent natural teeth
- Allow you to eat foods you couldn’t eat before, such as steak, corn on the cob, apples, sticky snacks, and more
- Look, function, and feel just like natural teeth
- Provide a permanent tooth-replacement option – you won’t have to deal with messy adhesives or cleaning solutions anymore!
Request a Dental Implant Consultation
Request an appointment and learn how dental implants can replace your multiple missing teeth for life.