Visit the Dentist with Confidence During COVID-19
By: Thomas Manos, D.D.S., M.S., Owner and CEO, Dental Associates
Did you know that the mouth is the gateway to the body? In fact, many health issues can first be detected by a dentist, which is why regular visits to the dentist are so important. Unfortunately, during COVID-19, many people are worried about visiting a dental clinic and wonder if it’s safe. At Dental Associates, know that we’re taking every precaution to keep you and your family safe inside our clinics.
American Dental Association Study Regarding COVID-19
The American Dental Association (ADA) published a study that confirms dental clinics are safe to visit. In their study, they found a very low number of dentists had contracted the virus, proving that safety measures have been successful.
Fewer than 1% of dentists nationwide were estimated to be COVID-19 positive as of June, according to an American Dental Association Science & Research Institute and Health Policy Institute study.
"This is very good news for dentists and patients," said Dr. Marcelo Araujo, Ph.D., CEO of the ADASRI, chief science officer of the ADA and senior author of the report. "This means that what dentists are doing — heightened infection control and increased attention to patient and dental team safety — is working."
We echo the ADA’s sentiments that dentistry is essential health care and clinics are safe to visit during this time. In fact, at Dental Associates we have a team whose sole purpose is to ensure patient and staff safety. Read on to learn more about this team.
Safety at Dental Associates’ Clinics During COVID-19
We’re continuing to follow strict guidelines set forth by health organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the ADA.
Years before the pandemic began, we established a compliance and safety team dedicated to researching and implementing the latest safety guidelines. But since March, their focus has been to seek guidance from the CDC and ADA to ensure our patients and staff are safe inside our clinics in the wake of COVID-19.
We understand that without proper dental care, many patients will develop additional health issues and we want you to know how important it is to still seek dental care during this time.
Here’s what we’re doing to keep you safe:
- Screening. Everyone goes through COVID-19 symptom screening and has their temperature taken upon entering our clinics.
- Masking. Anyone entering our clinics is required to wear a mask. Please be sure to bring a mask with you to your appointment; you’ll be asked to wear one any time you’re not in a dental chair.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Our teams are utilizing additional PPE to include isolation gowns, impervious lab coats, face shields, higher-level masks, gloves, and specialized products and equipment to control aerosols.
- Rubber dams. A rubber dam is a thin sheet your dentist can use during a procedure to help isolate one or more teeth from the remainder of the mouth, thus mitigating exposure.
- Aerosol-mitigation devices. We’ve implemented the use of special devices that reduce the particles produced during hygiene cleanings and other procedures. Learn more about these devices.
- Social distancing. Our waiting rooms have been rearranged and our clinics have modified their check-in process to minimize contact.
- Cleaning. In addition to standard infection control protocols, we’ve enhanced our cleaning practices, especially in our waiting rooms, bathrooms, and high-touch surfaces like pens and iPads.
- Removal of nonessential items. We’ve removed nonessential items from waiting rooms and operatories to mitigate surfaces for germ accumulation.
- Reduced traffic. Appointment times are staggered to reduce traffic. We are requesting that adult patients arrive unaccompanied and minors are accompanied by only one guardian.
Learn more by reading our Safe Visit Pledge.
Patient Comments about Visiting Dental Associates’ Clinics During COVID-19
If you’re still concerned about visiting the dentist at this time, take a look at what other Dental Associates patients are saying about their experiences:
10/17/20 – Beerline Clinic
"I have been to the Beerline location of Dental Associates twice over the past few weeks and both experiences exceeded my expectations. I felt very safe, warmly welcomed and expertly cared for."
- Mary Beth Harkness
10/1/20 – Howard Clinic
"The Staff are kind and patient and very efficient!!! Thank you for being gentle and sensitive to my needs. Everyone was masked, took my temperature, and maintained social distance, or were properly covered while I was in treatment. Thank you for taking care of me as well as yourselves!!! It is very appreciated!!!"
10/1/20 – Green Bay Clinic
"I was in and out of dental associates pretty quickly this morning. The staff were all friendly and were taking all the COVID-19 precautions seriously."
- Daniel DeCleene
9/29/20 – Miller Park Way Clinic
"I went to dental associates today for the first time (cleaning) and had a cleaning done the receptionist and the hygienist that waited on me were very polite courteous and considerate of any concerns I had they have a great Covid safety practice that I’ve seen take place every time I highly recommend dental Associates"
- John Feuerstein
9/28/20 – Howard Clinic
"Very careful and respectful care-distancing, clean pens, masks, waiting until 5 minutes before your appointment-appreciative"
- Devon Christianson
9/28/20 – Howard Clinic
"Very Professional office. Measures taken to be sure only 1or 2 patients in the office at a time. Arrival time is 5 mins before appointment. Friendly staff. Immaculate clean office with extra measures taken by staff to make me comfortable in the setting."
- Judy Slamp
9/28/20 – Miller Park Way Clinic
"Good protocol for covid. Friendly Dentist and hygienist. Office staff is efficient. Clean and roomy office. Go with confidence."
- Steven Schmitzer
7/10/20 – Kenosha Clinic
"Jennifer did a great job. Did all the correct social distancing and COVID precautions to make you feel safe. Dr Kim was careful as well and was professional and did a good job as well. Felt safe"
7/15/20 – Fond du Lac Clinic
Great experience... For the dentist. Especially during these covid-19 times. Clean, thorough and gentle.
- Terri Grinker
Visit With Confidence
Our dental teams are looking forward to seeing you at your next appointment to help keep your mouth—the gateway to the body—healthy so you can have one less thing to worry about during this time. Please request an appointment below or call your Dental Associates clinic to ensure your next visit. Stay well!
Meet Dr. Thomas Manos
Dr. Manos is a practicing Periodontist, and the owner and CEO of Dental Associates.