Toothaches can result from a variety of causes, including the following:
- Tooth decay: the destruction or damage of the tooth, including the outer coating (enamel) or the inner layer (dentin) of the tooth
- Abscessed tooth: a tooth that has an infection in or around it
- Damaged filling: a cracked or chipped filling
- Infected gums: redness and soreness in the gums from improper oral hygiene or food stuck in gum tissue
- Grinding of teeth: the back and forth movement of the upper and lower jaw that causes them to rub against each other
- Repetitive motion: a repeated action, such as chewing gum for long periods of time
Common toothache symptoms include the following:
- Sharp or throbbing pain in the tooth. This pain is either felt constantly, or only when applying pressure to the tooth
- Swelling in or around gums or jaw
- Fever or headache
- A bad taste, sometimes accompanied by foul-tasting drainage and fluid
If your tooth pain lasts longer than a few days or is accompanied by a fever or ear ache, schedule an appointment with your Dental Associates dentist. Be sure to monitor your child’s symptoms closely if they complain of pain.
Emergency Dental Care
We offer 24-hour urgent care to active patients of record. If you or your child has a dental emergency during non-business hours, call our office and the urgent care answering service will contact you quickly to our on-call staff. Learn more about Dental Associates’ emergency dental care.
Request an Examination
Our team at Dental Associate is eager to serve you. To request an examination with a dentist, visit our locations page to find a dental clinic near you. Please call the clinic of your choice to schedule an appointment,or request an appointment below.
Need Dental Insurance? Dental Associates is the exclusive provider of CarePlus Dental Plans. With CarePlus dental insurance, you can save money on dental care, even if you already have dental insurance. Use their Savings Calculator to see how much you can save with your existing dental insurance. Visit CarePlus dental insurance.