Braces for Adults
Braces aren’t just for kids. Now more than ever, adults are enjoying the benefits of orthodontic care no matter their age.
Straight teeth, teeth with a correct bite, and teeth that are aligned properly are healthier. When teeth are crooked and misaligned, there are plenty of places for plaque and food particles to hide. The more plaque and food build up, the greater chance of decay, inflamed gums, and gum disease. Additionally, an improper bite because of misaligned or crooked teeth often makes chewing food more difficult, which can lead to gastrointestinal problems.
With today’s advanced materials and techniques, wearing braces is much more efficient, convenient, and comfortable than ever!
Benefits of Braces for Adults
Braces for adults improve…
- Teeth function, allowing you to bite and chew correctly
- The ability to restore missing teeth
- Facial appearance
- Oral health
- Confidence and self-esteem
Braces for adults prevent…
- Tooth decay by correcting areas where plaque can easily build up
- Periodontal (gum) problems
- Bone loss around teeth
- Straining of teeth, jaws, and muscles that could lead to a greater risk of tooth breakage
- Abnormal wearing of tooth surface
- Difficulties in chewing
The type of braces you may need as an adult depends on a few factors:
- The severity of your bite or crookedness of your teeth
- If headgear or other special appliances are necessary
- The amount of time you will need to wear braces to correct your problem
- How you want to look in your braces
Invisible Braces for Adults
Materials for braces have advanced considerably over the years. Metal braces are no longer the only option. More “invisible” options are also available, and depending on the circumstances of your teeth and what you need corrected with braces, invisible braces may be right for you.
Invisible braces for adults options include:
Ceramic braces brackets: ceramic braces brackets are made of composite materials. They come in varying levels of transparency so you can have ceramic braces that mimic the color of your natural teeth.
Lingual braces: lingual braces are metal braces that are attached to the back of the teeth versus the front.
Invisalign: a set of clear, removable trays that are custom-made from a mold of your teeth. Learn more about Invisalign clear braces.
Your Dental Associates orthodontist will help you decide the style of braces that will work best for your individual circumstance and tooth realignment needs. In the end, you’ll have a straight, healthy set of teeth that will keep you smiling for a lifetime!
Request an Orthodontist Consultation
Request a consultation today and learn how adult braces can transform your smile.