Oral Health Instruction
What are oral health instructions?
Our dental providers will likely discuss oral health instructions (or OHI) with you at your appointment. These instructions are based on recommendations from the American Dental Association and tailored to your specific needs. Diligent home oral care can help lessen the need for dental intervention in the future and fix issues such as bad breath.
In general, the following OHI is recommended for most patients:
- Brush teeth two times each day, morning and night, with fluoride toothpaste.
- Eat a healthy diet low in sugary beverages and snacks
- Floss or use a water flosser in order to clean between teeth daily.
- See a dentist regularly, likely every 6 months
- Quit tobacco products, including smoking and smokeless tobacco, and e-cigarettes or vapes
- Avoid oral piercings
- Drink fluoridated water
Patients experiencing tooth sensitivity may be encouraged to use desensitizing toothpaste for home hygiene.
Dental Associates offers complete family dentistry plus specialty services like orthodontics, oral surgery, and dental implants. Click to learn more.